This post may contain affiliate links, please read my Disclosure policy.
From public forums to search engines, the web is buzzing with all things upcycle. People are thrifting a lot, not just now due to economic uncertainties, this trend has been on the up.
Upcycling is part of the thrifting trend and people want to know where to find thrifted items to upcycle and repurpose.
The most popular items include; thrifted store for home decor, crafts, clothes, jewelry and art.
So, what is the appeal of upcycle thrifting?
Second hand items like home decor and clothes used to be looked down upon, until some TV shows made them trendy.
Now thrifting is in fashion for DIY consumers, rules breakers and people who want to resell in the thrifting for profit movement.
The obvious reason is that thrifting is good for your wallet, it can save you money. Second hand items are priced cheaper than brand new items and they are ideal for upcycle and thrifting for profits projects.
Also, some people fix thrifted items up for resell. This is the popular “thrift flipping”.
Thrifting fans also like the unique finds that can be had at thrift stores.
Another big reason why many fall in love with thrifting is the environment. Thrifting reduces waste by recycling materials, instead of producing new ones.
Reducing the foot print on the environment is one common reason why some people may thrift.
Thrift fans also may do it for hobby and creativity (thrifting is an art form for some people) and they look for these products to start upclying and recycling projects.
- Upcycle thrift store art
- Upcycle thrift store clothes
- Ucycle thrift store furniture
- Thrift store with name brands
- Thrift stores with appliances
- Thrift stores with cameras
- Thrift stores with electronics
- Thrift stores for books
- Thrift stores for baby and kids clothes
- Thrift stores for toys
Related content: 7 Best Online Thrift Stores to buy Home Decor
Upcycle Thrift Stores vs Vintage and Consignment stores
All three types of thrifted stores sell used items. The final quality of the item is different depending where it comes from. Also, the price will be different at each type of store.
For example, clothes from an upcycle thrift store may need to be fixed or repurposed. Clothes from a Vintage or a consignment store, although second hand, doesn’t need any additional work before use.
The most popular items to find in upcycle and thrift stores
These are some of the everyday items people look for at upcycle thrift stores.
- Clothes for women, men and children
- Accessories – hats, mittens, wallets, bags, backpacks, vintage scarves.
- Televisions, small electrical appliances, DVDs, CDs, radios, table lamps
- Bicycles, exercise equipments, garden tools, golf accessories
- Kids – puzzles, games, stuffed animals
- Kitchen – pots, china, silverware, glassware, utensils, pans
- Jewelry, candles, mugs, ornaments, crafts, old maps
- Small furniture – chairs, tables, computer, dressers
Tips for going thrifting
Like with every other hobby, you will come up with your own method and strategies for the best thrifting experience. These are just some general tips when thrifting.
- Make your list of must have items. Know what you’re looking for, instead of going in and wondering around the stores.
- Have patient. This is part of the art of thrifting.
- Plan for peak thrifting seasons. After Holidays and Spring cleaning time are the best time to find thrift stores inventory. So, mark it on your calendar.
- Research Upcycle ideas. Get inspired. What kind of alterations and repairs do you need to make your pieces look optimal.
- Find out the sales days. Every thrift store has promotion. Clearance sales and dollar days. Call up ahead of time to find out.
- Set a budget per item. How much are you willing to spend for particular finds.
Related content: How to find architectural salvage stores online
Upcycle and Thrift Stores Online
Goodwill Stores – Goodwill receives donations from individuals and from companies. It has over 3,000 stores nationally and you can also buy online. Each store is independently operated.
Use the Goodwill website to find a store near you and go thrifting.
You can find clothes, shoes, accessories, craft items and art at Goodwill stores.
SA Family Store – The Salvation Army Family store gets donations that are later sold to the public. The thrifted items here include things like, clothes, furniture and household goods.
Savers locations – Savers stores claim to keep 700 million pounds of usable items away from landfills. Wether you want to recycle or upclycle thrifted items, Savers may have what you’re looking for.
Urban Xchange online store – This thrift store/ consignment store has women apparel, handbags, jewelry, shoes. Some of the brand names here include; BCBG Maxazria, Luluemon, Prada, Versace, 7 for all mankind, Gucci.
Value Village – This thrift is like Savers above, you’ll find the same type of thrift items at both.
Amazon used and thrifty items – You can find almost everything used at Amazon. From cell phones and laptops to used shoes and clothes. Amazon can be used to thrift too.
Tips for searching used and thrift items on Amazon
- For books type ” thrifty books” or “used books”.
- To find some of the popular used items – “used golf balls”, “used tennis balls” “used iPhones, ” used laptops”.
- Dollar items – search for “dollar items only” “dollar items for kids” “dollar items for women”. You won’t always get dollar priced items, but there are budget friendly items under these categories.
Dollar Stores Redos – Craft thrifting and making craft for resell – Dollar Stores, Dollar Tree, Family Dollar Stores. These stores sell many of the basic craft supplies to make budget friendly DIY craft for the home or for a resell business.
eBay – Originally eBay started as an online thrift store. The platform has evolved selling new items, but it still remains largely a place to buy used.
Etsy – You can buy upcycled goods at Etsy too. Selections include; unique or custom, handmade pieces from Etsy shops.
Local flea markets – Before the internet this is where you’ll hang out to look for used and thrift items. There are still many local flea markets and in- person auctions where you can score some thrift finds.
What are some of the biggest thrift store finds?
The biggest finds include diamonds, Picasso, a cup made from the horns of rhinoceros. See this article for Incredible Thrift Finds.
If you’re looking for original art work, designer clothes or small electronics for personal use or for resell, those are some of the places you may find them.
Upcycling are DIY projects for converting old pieces of clothes, art and other items into new versions by repairing them.
For Upcycle projects, those above are some of the thrift stores you can visit online and in person. To make the most of your thrifting trip, look for upcycle inspirations before you go and make your list of needed items.
10 Online Upcycle Thrift Stores
- SA Family Stores
- Savers Locations
- Urban Xchange
- Value Village
- Dollar Stores
- Local thrift shops