This post may contain affiliate links, please read my Disclosure policy.
Make money online as an audiobook narrator
The audiobook industry is more popular than ebooks and hardcover books. This trend has been driven by the use of mobile devices like, smart phones and tablets.
For users, audio books are a convenient way to absorb information and get a more vivid story telling experience.
Reading audiobooks for money jobs are legitimate, requiring training and long hours, depending on what you want to get out of them.
Audiobooks narrators can find work doing voice over for books in many genres and voice over for internet videos and training videos.
The pay for audiobook voice over actors can vary depending on the project’s complexity.
You can be hired to simply do a book reading, to be the producer of the audiobook as well as the narrator, to be an actor when narrating etc.
The average salary for a book reader is around $21.00 per hour. However, for experienced narrator in highly sought after niches the pay can be much higher.
A popular narrator who has carved a niche for himself can also make a higher pay.
Audiobook readers may also have the option of getting paid royalties along with a flat pay rate, depending on the platform.
Although there are minor differences between a book narrator, voice over actor and a book reader, these roles are often placed together in the job market.
This post covers how to improve your chances for getting audiobook narration jobs and some of the platforms to find these jobs.
- How to find video games testing jobs
- How to start your own blog
- 9 Profitable business ideas for self-starter moms
- 10 Websites to make $100 a day
- 9 Legitimate remote jobs for college students
- 7 Products ideas to sell on Shopify
Getting Ready for an Audiobook Narrator Job or Business
Beginners audio book readers can ease their way into this industry by taking these actions.
- Take some lessons – One thing you can do to improve your job prospects as an audiobook narrator is to take acting, voice over and audiobook production lessons. Being able to read the book in an engaging fashion can give you an advantage over another candidate.
Teaching platforms like Udemy.com and Takelessons.com list acting lessons at affordable prices and sometimes free.
2. Read books for free – Do some audiobook reading jobs at the Free Public Domain Audiobooks, LibriVox. This will give you some experience you can use to get paid audiobooks narrator jobs. This practice will allow you to obtain feedback and to improve your vocals as well.
3. Read industry publications like AudioFile Magazine and Audible.com resources to become familiar with the audiobook industry.
What are the Equipments you Need for voice over or Narrator Work?
To start reading audiobook you’ll need at least these gears.
- Microphone stand
- A comfortable chair
- Master the English language
- Have a Demo ready – this is like an absent ready audition
What are The Popular Genres in Audiobooks?
If you’re looking to start a career or business doing audiobooks narration, it’s important to understand which genres offer the most opportunities.
These are some of the more sought after audiobook genres.
- Science Fiction
- Historical Fiction
- Video games
- eLearning videos
Where to Find Audiobooks Narrator Jobs
Run your services like a business
Establish yourself as an audiobook narrator on a freelancers platform like Fiverr, Guru, Freelancer.com and Upwork. These platforms match narrators talents with clients looking for audiobook services. This services are popular in the US and worldwide.
Some of the services you can offer include; audiobook narration, production, editing or full production (includes all threes services).
As a freelancer you’ll be doing independent work on a contract basis, therefore you can determine your pay and hours. The freelance sites take a cut out of your pay as platform’s commission.
Use an Audiobook Platform
Findaway Voices This audiobook distributor helps author reach the global audiobook market. The audiobooks produced here are heard on platforms like Google, Amazon, Audible and others.
Narrators pay on Findaway Voices usually starts at $50+ per finished hour. The skills levels, experience, type of project have an influence on the narrator’s pay rate.
ACX – this is a platform run by Amazon for the production of audiobooks. The audiobooks narrated on ACX are sold on Audible.com, Amazon and iTunes.
As a book narrator on ACX you’ll also do the production, includes recording, editing and finishing up the audio for sale. This platform has a lot of learning resources for beginner narrators.
How are ACX audiobook narrators paid?
- As a narrator you’ll get paid a flat fee, this fee is included on the job as “PFH” per finished hour agreement. Generally, on ACX this rate is $150 per hour or more for an experienced book narrator.
- You can also opt to get paid by royalties. This means you get a percentage of the sale of each book each time the book is sold.
Voices.com is another platform to find audiobook voice over jobs. You’ll need to sign up, create a profile, include some demos and auditions for jobs.
You can find general audiobook narrator jobs on Voices, there’re however more specific genres on this platform. These include voice over jobs for Animation, eLearning, Internet video (YouTube, websites, blogs) and Video games.
Voices123.com This is a popular platform for voice over jobs. To join just open a free account as a voice over actor. The platform takes a 20% cut from the price of a project.
Audiobooks narrators jobs are good for people who enjoy books, have a good voice and are willing to do the work. Although it’s not required to have acting studies, having some acting skills is a great tool for this type of work.
For a beginner looking to get a foot in the audiobook industry, a recommendation is to take related courses like acting or voice over productions. Also, to volunteer to do audiobook narration for LiverVox.
When ready for your first audiobook gig, platforms like Amazon ACX or Fiverr and Upwork offer the best chances to land a job as a book narrator, entry level.
Leave a Reply