This post may contain affiliate links, please read my Disclosure policy.
Starting to think about giving a go at building a money making blog or website and see what you can do?
If you’ve been lurking around doing some research to understand what blogging is all about, this is a good first step before creating your blog.
Don’t procrastinate too much though, the only way to learn blogging is actually doing it.
But, where do you start if you don’t know anything about blogging?
In 2009-2010 I was in your same spot. Looking to make money blogging, but with zero idea how it’s done.
Even back then I was reading about these bloggers making money with their blogs.
I thought there has to be a way to figure this thing out because it would be great if I can do the same.
So, I learned and now I can help you to create your own money making blog. Save this link because it will save you hours of research.
In this post I will list 30 things you need to do before creating a money making blog. A blog checklist that has helped me launched my blogs.
These are a combination of easy technical stuff and other useful blogging tips with examples. Use this checklist to help you set up your money making blog.
Making money with blogs – related posts:
Here is a compilation of 30 blogging tips to know before making money with your blog.
- Creating your blog is not a passive process. The income that you’ll eventually earn is passive only because you put in the work upfront. You actively worked to create a blog, market it and maintain it.
- Decide on the name of your blog.
- Select your niche, your topic and subtopics.
- Choose a hosting company.
- Select a platform, like WordPress, with themes and plugins. Make your site Mobile Responsive.
- Create Google Analytics and Search Console accounts and link them to your blog. Learn how to use these webmaster tools.
- Write 10 to 20 posts to start with.
- Create social media accounts for the blog.
- Decide which social medias are worth your time. Focus on one or two until you learn the ropes because each platform is different. Pinterest is a powerful engine to drive traffic to your blog.
- Have a budget to advertise your blog.
- Set goals.
- Don’t expect to make money right a way or to get rich.
- Start putting money aside for taxes – this when you start making money.
- Familiarize yourself with free photography sites. You’ll need images for your blog. Examples, Picspree, Pixel, Unplash
- Set up email sign up forms to collect emails from visitors. MailChimp is free up to 2,000 subscribers. You’ll need emails for affiliate marketing.
- Continue educating yourself about blogging for money. The internet is constantly changing and this affects blogs and sites.
- Think of your money making blog as an investment and a business. There is an active market for buying and selling blogs.
- Understand that blogging for money is a huge commitment.
- Network with other bloggers.
- Invest time learning basic SEO.
- Do keyword research.
- Understand that not everything will make money on a blog. This is why it’s important to do keyword research to assess the traffic size.
- Understand that blogging for money is an educational concept. You need to teach your audience abut the topic. Give the reader information on how to do things or solve a problem.
- Creating a blog from scratch is not easy. So be patient and continuously move forward.
- Understand that a blog is like real estate, but on the internet.
- Create a schedule or editorial calendar to plan your posts.
- Establish new routines around your blog.
- Decide how to monetize your blog. Ads, affiliate marketing, services, products.
- Organize your money making blog. Select the categories names and tags based on your topic (related). Examples for a Home Decoration blog, Living room decoration, Small places decoration, Bathroom decoration etc.
- Submit your blog’s url to Google search. This way it will show on searches. Without this step Google won’t know your blog exists.
- Set your Domain email. This is usually part of your hosting plan. You need this email to set up your email service.
- You’ll find a lot of support in blogging groups. Bloggers in the blogging community lift each other up and don’t keep anyone out.
- As you improve your SEO skills, go back and review older posts to make sure they are optimized.
- Set aside 30 minutes every day for learning. Learn about keywords, SEO, your audience, a specific platform etc.
Final thoughts on things to know before creating a money making blog
Blogging is an educational concept. Bloggers use their platforms to deliver tutorials, how to’s and other Teachables. This concept can be monetize because of the internet.
Anything that can be monetize is pretty much a business, therefore blogging is a business, as well as a teaching platform.
Understanding those concepts helps you to make sound decisions for your blog.
The best way to learn blogging is by creating a blog and learn as you go. It’s important to do some research to gain understating of the concept. However, nothing will teach you blogging as the actual experience would.
Start your own blog with this helpful and free guide – How to build your blog.
Blogging is also an evolving concept. Therefore, you will continue to get educated and be adaptable.
There will be time when you may lose your patient and even pull your hair out blogging. Take a break and move forward. Remember why you started. At the end it will be worth it, not easy, but worth it.
Remember to save this post or email it to yourself. These tips will save you many hours of research.
Jen Towkaniuk says
Google Search Console is such an amazing tool! A lot of people confuse it with Google Analytics, but it is so different and key to your blog being seen. This is such a great list and something bloggers new and old should read every now and then. Thanks!
Sylvia Edna,MBA says
Thank you Jen. Yes, Google has done a good job with its Search Console. I’m still learning it.
Saravjeet Sandhu says
Excellent blogging tips, loved going through this list. And Yes if you’re just starting your blog only to make money online you may or may not succeed but if you’re passionate about something and want the world to know about it, you’ll definitely succeed in starting a successful money making blog. Because the days you see no payback, on the surface, your passion will keep you going!
Sylvia Edna,MBA says
Thank you Saravjeet. Yes, you need to be somewhat passionate about what you blog about to help you continue long term. You can’t really make money right a way because your blog and the posts and the feedback need to make their way thru the Web and it’s Spiders, that takes some time.
Oh my! I liked when you said: making money passively only happened when you put in the work upfront! Blogging is not a get rich quick scheme. If one wants to solely depend on it for a living in the start, then they should get a job.
Sylvia Edna,MBA says
Thank you Ruthy. Blogging is a great way to make money, but you really have to work upfront. This is why so many new bloggers give up because they dont see the money right away. But, this creates opportunities for the blogger that do have patient.
After reading this I need to learn more about Google console. Thanks for all the tips, very helpful especially when starting out.
Sylvia Edna,MBA says
Thank you Kathy. I’m glad these tips are helpful for you. Google Console is a really useful tool. I need to learn more about it too. Like the other webmaster tools, it can be overwhelming learning it all at once.